Saturday, December 11, 2010

Birth Plans

Something that I keep seeing in my cyber travels around all sorts of different birth/baby blogs and even in some books is talk of Birth Plans. What is a birth plan?

Now understand I can only describe a birth plan from my point of view but I will describe some of the purported Birth Plans that apparently cause medical staff to laugh in peoples faces.

My kind of birth plan is pretty specific in that I dont beat around the bush and make it flowery, but it's not all demanding either. I like to think that my birth plan is pretty fair.
It states things in terms of "I would prefer..." rather than "This is the way it's going down, bitches!!"

I understand that emergencies happen which is why my birth plan covers many contingencies, even the possibility that I could have a cesarean. It doesn't say anything like "A cesarean is the LAST thing that I want" it simply says that if a cesarean is required I wish for the man thing to have skin to skin as soon as possible, if he so wishes.

Nothing too confrontational about that now is there?

Stuff like this *Click Me* is rather counter-intuitive. See, a birth plan isn't actually a PLAN, or at least it shouldn't be because of course birth cant actually be PLANNED. Things can be considered though and those things can be PLANNED for.

A birth plan shouldn't read "I want to turn up at the hospital, be checked and found to be 7cm dilated, I want to have an Epidural placed 10 minutes later that works perfectly and then 3 hours later I want to be checked again, found to be 10cm dilated and then directed how to push. Pushing will take no more than 1 hour and my baby will slip out with no problems, perfect APGARs and then latch immediately. I will have no tears or need for an episiotomy."

That is the kind of birth plan that is definately going to make a health care providers hackles rise. Hell, just writing it is making MY hackles rise!

A birth plan which I think would be better recieved by the health care professionals (be they a midwife, nurse, OB) would be one along the lines of;

I would prefer Intermittent monitoring over continuous monitoring.
I CANNOT have an Epidural so please do not offer this to me. 
I wish to have Entonox avaliable at my request.
I wish to have a birthing tub avaliable for my use if I so desire during labour.
I would prefer to avoid an episiotomy and would rather tear naturally.
I would prefer that the cord not be clamped or cut until it ceases pulsating.
I would prefer a physiologic third stage of labour.

Now some people may think that that sounds a little too pleading but it plainly states how I feel about all of the above. Now, barring an emergency I cant see why any of those "requests" would be ignored. Of course, here in New Zealand the environment and all the attitudes seem to be vastly different to those in the USA where most of the Birth Plan issues seem to stem from.

I have already talked over many of these things with either my midwife or the antenatal classes that I have been attending. I have a little checklist in my notes that states my preferences to things like monitoring and cord clamping/third stage. Still, I wont know what is really going to happen until I'm actually in the process of labouring/birthing so we will have to wait and see how it all turns out.

3 comments:

  1. But you see some woman actually think that the "birth plan" is an actual PLAN and have everything planned from the first contraction until (probably) a few hours after the baby is born. These woman are usually quite disappointed at the actual birth as things didn't go to PLAN.

    I think your birth plan sounds very reasonable and don't see any reason (presuming there are no problems and baby is born after 32 weeks) that your requests shouldn't be followed.

    My birth plans went a bit like this :
    #1 Water birth, gas and epi available if I need it, c-section if completely necessary. Breast feed baby.

    Birth went like this. Waters leaking, no baby came, sent to hospital for monitoring, sent home for a while until contractions were stronger, back to hospital for more monitoring, continued monitoring for the next 12 hours or so, baby not coming, had to have oxytocin to make contractions stronger, epi that didn't work properly, constant pain on left side for next 3 hours (would have preferred the contractions, at least they come and go) 2 top ups of epi injected straight into my back that still didn't get it working properly, Baby born after 31 hour labor with cord around neck. Wouldn't latch and had jaundice so had 5 days in hospital which ended int he midwifes saying I had to either express or give formula.

    #2 at local birth center, Water birth, gas, breastfeed. (seems pretty straight ford right)

    Birth: Waters break then after 13 hours of contractions at home notice meconium in waters, off to birth centre for monitoring. baby heartrate has big de-cel, rushed to hospital where I again had to be monitored continually for the next 10 hours and wasn't allowed to move off the bed. Tried gas, didn't work. Hurt bad so asked for epi (while I was getting it i felt the pressure on my bum but didn't want to tell them incase they said I couldn't have epi), epi in, turned over to make sure the monitor is on babys scalp properly and I say I need to push. room filled with about 7-8 docs, nurses and midwifes baby born blue after 4 minutes and 4 pushes with cord 3 times around his neck. Baby recovered very well and lacthed perfectly. home after 3 days.

    Anyway my point is no mater how detailed (or not) your birth plan is it (in my experience) probably won't go exactly how you want it and the most important thing is to go with the flow if you can and is safe for you and baby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry for the long post and hope I haven't made you worried.

    Oh forgot to say that baby number 2 was born before the epi worked at all so there was no point in even having it. And it wasn't actually that bad after all lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah the phrase birth plan is slightly misleading as you cant actually PLAN the birth, you can only plan what you want to happen if such and such happens. The other problem with this is I cant think of a more appropriate word then plan lol.

    Oh and your story didn't worry me in the slightest :) I'm well aware of what can happen during labour than can throw the best of "plans" out the window ;)

    ReplyDelete