Thursday, November 11, 2010

Mountaineering and ping pong balls

No I'm not about to go start climbing mountains, but I have been sifting through them. Mountains of baby clothes that is.

The man thing and I went on a little road trip to Auckland Tuesday/Wednesday to meet up with a few people and pick up some stuff for the baby. I got 2 doz flat cloth nappies (Thank you Lisa!!!) and a bag of absolutely pristine clothes from a friend (Thanks Steph!!!) but the biggest suprise came when the father-in-law gave us 2 boxes AND a black sack full of baby clothes. I was stunned. So, yesterday afternoon when we got home I started pulling it all out and sorting it into sizes/age ranges and *jaw drop* I don't think I'm going to have to buy anything for the next 2 years!!!

Currently on my coffee table I have a rather large stack of NB/0-3 month clothes. Mostly bodysuits and AIOs. The stack is a foot high!!! There's a smaller pile beside it of more wintery AIOs which I think will be a little too heavy for my Due-In-March baby.

We also had our first Antenatal Class last night. Gosh, it was fun. I was a bit nervous, ya know, meeting all these new people and stuff but it was pretty cool. I did my usual hang-around-in-the-background kind of thing but I did participate a little.
The man thing had no qualms about jumping in. He volunteered to wear the 7kg fat suit LOL. It was quite cute. I think the reason he did it was because they said he could try the entonox when we go for a spin through the delivery suite. Yeah, like he's never had that before *wink*

One of the most entertaining parts of the class was when we had to put ping pong balls into balloons (sounds really weird right?) then blow the balloons up a little. It was to simulate the uterus and how it works with the contractions, and also how Braxton Hicks contractions are different from Labour contractions.

Apart from that (which I thought was pretty cool, especially when we started shooting ping pong balls all around the room) I didn't actually learn anything that I didn't already know, either from reading pregnancy books, or the Internet.

Let's see how much I learn from these classes...

(Note to self: Use spell check... Mountain is NOT spelled mountian *facepalm*)

4 comments:

  1. Lol at the man thing wanting to try the entonox. When I was in labour my partner kept grabbing mine and having some. I think it was doing more for him than for me to be honest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, he's had it before so he's just being a greedy bastard :P
    I've had it too and I found it worked really well if I only had 3 pulls on it then a few breaths of room air. Any more than 3 pulls and I started feeling nauseous. Still, those 3 pulls were enough to deaden the back labour I had while birthing my son.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back labor is horrible isn't it. I had it both times round. Doesn't help that I was stuck on my back due to monitoring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh ick! I'm hoping to not be stuck on my back for monitoring, have to ask my OB about it on Tuesday when I next see her.

    OH! I also found that when I got the shakes during and after labour that a couple of pulls on the entonox worked wonders.

    ReplyDelete