Monday, October 25, 2010

Spring in my step

Hardy hardy har. I can barely walk, but anyway.

Spring is here! The man thing has his first sunburn (Idiot), the birds are chirping, the sun is shining and I have seeds germinating wink.

We're planting a vege garden up at my mums place and I'm growing what I can from seeds. I currently have sugarsnap peas, tomatoes, brocolli, corn, marigolds and alyssum (yeah I know the last two are types of flowers). The brocolli and peas are sprouting, along with the flowers but the tomatoes and corn are being a bit slow.
I also have some carrot seeds but I'll wait until the garden bed is ready before I plant them anywhere. I'm not sure how they do in pots.

I also have an abundance of strawberry plants. 15 in all. I purchased 6 plants last year, planted them in the ground at my mums place and let them grow. They didn't fruit very well but they made plenty of babies.

The 15 strawberry plants I now have are a mix of the original 6 plus babies. I now have 4 plants in a planter along with some lettuce (yes I know, strange bedfellows) and the other 11 are in pots.

I also have a raspberry bush in a lovely big tub sitting on my porch. It's loving its new position. It was badly mauled when it was at my mums place by a lawnmower over winter and all the canes were taken off at ground level. It was barely poking up any new leaves when I got to it 3 weeks ago. Since then, WOW, it's LOVING the tub on the porch where it gets plenty of sun, it gets water, and the occasional dose of plant food. Here's hoping it loves it so much it gives me a few berries this year lol, though that could be wishful thinking.

Anyway, off to tend to the seedlings and possibly plant some more.

I have the green bug!!

2 comments:

  1. I think the marigolds are supposed to be good for keeping certain pests away from your veges.

    I'm planning on doing (well pulling the weeds out of) my vege garden this week. (hopefully)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know *wink* that's why I like Marigolds so much

    ReplyDelete